Skip to main content

iwillteachyoutoberich.com

My friend Sonal recently recommended to me this blog about personal finance for young people. It is called http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com. Sounds like a scam, doesn't it? At first i was skeptical too. Reading the blog and researching it over the web made me realise - this guy can really help me.

The blog is written by a recent Stanford guy, Ramit Sethi. Yes, he is of Indian decent. I think for me, this fact strengthened his genuineness :-)He also recently realised a book under the same name - I will teach you to be rich. I have bought that book.

Personally, i think i am ok with personal finance. I am risk taker by nature.and I have been putting a lot of time into reading about it and learning. I have also taken some advice from a financial advisor for my investments. But I was having problems managing simple things. I needed a method to manage the zillions of accounts that i have currently. Yah, I have managed to do that like most young guys just out of schools. Most of these accounts are credit cards :-(.

So, what i liked about his blog and book( i have partially read), are the tactics. The tactics are very helpful in making things easier to manage - Like automating my payments and transfers. It helped me change my focus from the small things that do nothing to improve my knowledge to things that i will help me enhance my financial and technical knowledge.

I personally, think every young person should read the book at least once. I am sure everyone will get something out of it. There are some chapters of his book online, people can check that out too before buying it.

I do not see book as be all end all of personal finance. As it says "personal finance", it is a personal thing. It depends on What do YOU want achieve in your life? I read many books, websites and listen to people and try to make an educated call and hope that i make the right decision.

Comments

Prema said…
Aha..somebody writes a book teaching you to be rich?!! Iam sure he has not let out his own secret in there...>I think nobody can teach u to be rich..
I tried reading 'Rich dad, poor dad"...didn't like it too much..similar lines, of what to do differently or rather what-not-to-do to be poor.
Am still not (un)intelligent enough to follow someone's recipe for getting rich!
No wonder Iam still not rich..

Popular posts from this blog

A piece of my mind on India's security solution

The solution to our internal security is not simple. The responsibility of this situation is just not on the politicians and bureaucrats, but on the whole of India. - The people of India. I think we are as much responsible as the politicians and bureaucrats are for this current pathetic situation. The following are the things that are the needs of the hour : Politicians Create a separate portfolio for Internal/Homeland Security. Have a really strong minister fo r it. Make a division in CBI, RAW etc solely for the purpose of the internal security. They will brief the union minister for homeland security. Each state has its own state minister for internal security. They are responsible for the security of the state s. Have highly trained commandos in all the major cities including tier 1 cities. Train the police to handle such terrorist attacks in the absence of the commandos. Also, train them to work under the commando when they are present. Provide all the equipment required to do the

My First Motorcycle Roadtrip

I went on my first road on my motorcycle( Kawasaki Ninja 500R) to a place called Kingman in the north of Arizona. This was 22nd of June 2007. It is around 200 miles from Phoenix, Arizona. A fun ride it was and was not very tiring as i assumed it would be. I left early around 6am and reached Kingman around 9.30am with 2 stops in the middle at Wickenberg and a some other place just before Kingman. The trip was very uneventful except that my gear lever came off few miles outside Kingman. Stopping at a gas station nearby, I found that I could put it back myself using the tools I had in my bike. Thank God! After finishing my work, I had short lunch break at Denny's in Kingman. For my friends back home, Denny's is nice diner chain where you get bottomless coffee :-). I left back early around 11.30am, so I can reach Phoenix before the temperature rises. On my way back, I stopped at a bridge and took a small video. My first personal video taken on my new Moto Rizr. First thing, I real

Amazing Praha with great Czechs

I wrote this when i was in Praha 2 weeks ago during my eurotrip but for got to post it. The reason for for my euro trip was to get know the country's culture and i got the with 35 km bike to karlsten castle from prague. My ride was hard. Changes in slope, losing my way, running out water, friends with cramps; i face every issue imaginable. I even had flat tire on one bike. But i fixed it. Anyways, the post is about the czechs. They helped my friends and i every time we were in trouble. Like a fellow cyclist who helped us get to a different to find part of the route. Like the lady in the middle of no where came out of her house to get us back on the right route when she saw that we were lost. Like the bartender who directed me to the next town because he did not have what we wanted. Like the restaurant owner and worker who helped us with some multivitamin drinks and a smile :-) All these czech people live outside of prague. They were so courteous. Always smiling. even if we did not