Skip to main content

Just a cab driver; but an amazing human being!

It is funny how "not so well off" people end up giving so much and touch your help when you least expect them to.

I was returning to the airport from my hotel in Denver last week. My hotel had called a super shuttle for me. It was bang on time. A normal looking black d00d came out and took my luggage. After placing in the booth of his van, he opened the rear door for me and i sat there in one of the seats. He silently then started driving to other hotels around downtown Denver to pick other passengers. He did not seem to find any. At his last pick up point, there were a lot of people and traffic but non for his van. I knew my hotel was fully booked for the weekend and this one seemed the same. I proceeded to ask him if there was a big event in Denver over the weekend and he told me there were several. This was start of a nice conversation with him.

To make our conversation easier, he invited me to take the passenger seat next to him. I politely obliged as i love to ride shotgun. He told me he was originally from Ethiopia and his family had moved to the US sometime ago. I told him i had been to Ethiopia on my way to Mozambique to see my dad in 2001. He then telling me about his story about how he studied in Pune, India in the mid 1990s. I first thought he was bullshitting but certain details he told me about Pune only person who has been there can know. There is also a possibility that he could be well read. He accurattely mentioned exchange rates, cost of food and transport and places in Pune. He seemed a real nice guy but i saw what an amzing human being he was when we reached the airport. As we entered the airport, one women came to ask him how much it was to go downtown. He said 19$ per person. She said they were 4 people and instantly he told her that they should take a limousine cab instead since it will be cheaper for them. He lost $80 business on a slow day like Saturday. I thought he would expect nore tip from me but when i gave him a 3$ tip he gave me back 2$ saying 1$ was enough tip. Who in today,s world does that? He touched my heart with this gesture.

I hope he gets all goodluck in the world and has a blessed life. I recommend anyone coming to denver use him if u need a ride from the airport and back. His name is Ben and email is bentess4@yahoo.com.

Thanks Ben for showing me that the world still has great people like you. In fact my whole trip to Denver has shown me what a group of people with a big heart can do to help the under priviledged in the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A piece of my mind on India's security solution

The solution to our internal security is not simple. The responsibility of this situation is just not on the politicians and bureaucrats, but on the whole of India. - The people of India. I think we are as much responsible as the politicians and bureaucrats are for this current pathetic situation. The following are the things that are the needs of the hour : Politicians Create a separate portfolio for Internal/Homeland Security. Have a really strong minister fo r it. Make a division in CBI, RAW etc solely for the purpose of the internal security. They will brief the union minister for homeland security. Each state has its own state minister for internal security. They are responsible for the security of the state s. Have highly trained commandos in all the major cities including tier 1 cities. Train the police to handle such terrorist attacks in the absence of the commandos. Also, train them to work under the commando when they are present. Provide all the equipment required to do the

My First Motorcycle Roadtrip

I went on my first road on my motorcycle( Kawasaki Ninja 500R) to a place called Kingman in the north of Arizona. This was 22nd of June 2007. It is around 200 miles from Phoenix, Arizona. A fun ride it was and was not very tiring as i assumed it would be. I left early around 6am and reached Kingman around 9.30am with 2 stops in the middle at Wickenberg and a some other place just before Kingman. The trip was very uneventful except that my gear lever came off few miles outside Kingman. Stopping at a gas station nearby, I found that I could put it back myself using the tools I had in my bike. Thank God! After finishing my work, I had short lunch break at Denny's in Kingman. For my friends back home, Denny's is nice diner chain where you get bottomless coffee :-). I left back early around 11.30am, so I can reach Phoenix before the temperature rises. On my way back, I stopped at a bridge and took a small video. My first personal video taken on my new Moto Rizr. First thing, I real

Amazing Praha with great Czechs

I wrote this when i was in Praha 2 weeks ago during my eurotrip but for got to post it. The reason for for my euro trip was to get know the country's culture and i got the with 35 km bike to karlsten castle from prague. My ride was hard. Changes in slope, losing my way, running out water, friends with cramps; i face every issue imaginable. I even had flat tire on one bike. But i fixed it. Anyways, the post is about the czechs. They helped my friends and i every time we were in trouble. Like a fellow cyclist who helped us get to a different to find part of the route. Like the lady in the middle of no where came out of her house to get us back on the right route when she saw that we were lost. Like the bartender who directed me to the next town because he did not have what we wanted. Like the restaurant owner and worker who helped us with some multivitamin drinks and a smile :-) All these czech people live outside of prague. They were so courteous. Always smiling. even if we did not